This article concentrates on teaching users on how to change the directory path of the OST file. Peruse on to know the distinctive manners by which you can do. Likewise, at last, it is prescribed to users that they should convert OST file into PST format or reasons that are very persuading.
On occasion, there can be a critical need of users to change the default location of Outlook OST file. Also, there can be a few explanations behind the equivalent. All things considered, to convert OST to PST file can likewise be an option in contrast to this. In any case, to change OST file location pursue the techniques that have been referenced in the segments to come.
Use manual techniques to change the default location of OST files
Coming up next are the manual strategies utilizing which users can modify the default location of Offline Outlook OST files
Usage of Registry Trick – By utilizing the Registry Trick strategy users can migrate the OST file from its default location regardless of Outlook version such as Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 or 2003 all of which utilize an alternate location to save their OST files.
Follow the below steps to change the default directory of OST files:
1. Tap on Win and R button together so that the Run wizard should appear. In the wizard, type Regedit command and hit on OK
2. After the registry editor is opened. In it, utilize the suitable keys that rely upon the version of Outlook being used.
- The key for Outlook 2016 is:
- The key for Outlook 2013 is:
- The key for Outlook 2010 is:
- The key for Outlook 2007 is:
3. On the right-hand side of Registry Editor right-tap on a vacant area. At that point, choose New >> Expandable String Value as appeared in the figure underneath.
4. A new value is generated. Assign ForceOSTPath name to the value and choose the new default path to store the OST file produced by Exchange account. At that point, tap on the OK.
5. Restart MS Outlook after closing the Registry Editor wizard.
Note:- At this point, a new OST will be auto-created in the default path of OST file that is selected whenever a new Exchange email account is set.
Usage of an Outlook email client- In this technique, users are required to remember the default path of OST files that rely upon the version of Windows Operating system. Likewise, this applies to Outlook 2013, 2010, 2007, and 2003.
You can see the default path of Outlook OST file for Windows 10, 8, and 7
For Windows XP, the default OST path is as follows:-
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
1. Launch the Account Settings wizard and choose the Data files
2. Choose Exchange Server account and then settings
3. Click on Advanced segment inside the Microsoft Exchange Account, uncheck the Option ‘Use Cached
Exchange Mode’ and then hit on OK button
4. In case of prompt, tap on the OK tab and after that select Settings
5. Under the Advanced Section, Select Outlook Data File Settings >> Disable Offline Use >> Yes.
Note:- In anytime if the option of Disable Offline Use is unavailable, go to Step 3 & de-select the ‘Use Cached Exchange Mode’ checkbox
6. Pick Outlook Data File Settings and after that select ‘I need to move the old document’ alternative. Here, choose the Browse option, at that point the disconnected Outlook Data (OST) file that was migrated to another folder at any path, and after that the Open
7. Tap on the OK
8. In the Advanced segment of Microsoft Exchange account, put a check on the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box, tap on the OK tab, and again tap on the OK tab when it attempts to restart Outlook email client.
9. Now, close Account Settings and the Mail Setup wizard.
10. Tap on OK in the Mail Window
Note:- Whenever an another Offline OST file is created, the old OST file isn’t deleted naturally. You can manually delete the old OST file.
- It is free of cost
- There is a chance of data loss
- Time-consuming process
- There is a chance of complete failure
Best Approach to change OST file location
As we have seen above in the article, the manual techniques to change the location of the OST file has various drawbacks. Therefore, considering each one of those, it is smarter to go for a substitute. Going ahead, the most ideal approach to manage this issue is to change over the OST files into PST format. Using this, users would have the access to save data items in Offline Outlook on any Windows versions. Indeed, to do as such, users can go for OST to PST Converter tool that has the ability to convert OST to PST file in a hassle-free manner.
Most importantly, it can be used to convert multiple OST files into other file formats EML, MSG, HTML.